Before becoming a travel blogger, I spent 13 years working in various roles for a major international airline. Those were a great 13 years. Working for an airline is interesting, challenging and generally a lot of fun (most of the time). But during my 13 years, I witnessed a lot of things going on that the general travelling public would be completely oblivious to. I always thought when I quit the industry, I would write a book about my experiences that exposed all the dirty little airline secrets from an airline industry insider.
Well, this article is no novel, but I managed to put together a list of 15 things that go on behind the scenes in an airline that might interest you, especially if you travel regularly. From passengers behaving so badly, they forced the plane to divert to the nearest airport, to flight attendants doing the unthinkable. I’ve seen it all.
Want to know what really happens when an aircraft is struck by lightning or encounters severe turbulence? And what about the plane water – is it drinkable? Can your mobile phone really interfere with the aircraft navigation systems if you don’t switch it to flight mode? And what really happens to your beloved pets when they travel in the aircraft hold? Read about all these airline secrets and more on our recent article published on We Are Travel Girls.
Read More Travel Hacking Tips:
- How to Earn Airline Gold Status as Quickly as Possible
- How to Get Free Hotel Stays Anywhere in the World
Planning a trip soon? Here is a list of the websites and resources we use for booking everything from flights, to accommodation, tours, and more:
- Skyscanner for booking the best flight deals
- Booking.com | Agoda | Hotels.com for booking the best hotel deals
- Airbnb | Stayz | HomeAway | VRBO for home rentals
- Rentalcars.com for quick and easy car rentals
- Luxury Escapes for luxury package holiday deals and tours
- Get Your Guide for a great range of day tours
- Tourradar | Intrepid for multi-day experiential and adventure tours
- Priority Pass for airport lounge access in hundreds of locations around the world
- Skyroam to stay connected to WiFi everywhere I go
- iVisa for processing entry visas for many countries around the world
- World Nomads or Covermore for the best worldwide travel insurance coverage (Covermore is only available to Australians & New Zealanders)