There’s no doubt about it – Iceland is one of the top Bucket List Places in the World to visit!
When I started planning our Iceland trip, I literally spent hours sifting through hundreds of Iceland bucket list articles on Pinterest, trying to nail down the perfect list of things to do. I had seen many photos of amazing waterfalls and cute Icelandic horses on Instagram and Pinterest, but I had no idea how to find these places.
(Hint: Icelandic horses are literally everywhere).
I began pinning everything that I came across onto a Google Map so that I could map out an epic Iceland bucket list road trip itinerary with all things that I wanted to see.
But I want to let you in on a little secret – before I visited Iceland for the first time, I totally underestimated how big it actually is, and how many bucket list things there are to see and do there.
Below is our recommendation for the top 50 things to add to your Iceland Bucket List!
Wondering where to stay in Iceland? Here are 25 incredible hotels to choose from.
Left to right from the top: Solheimasandur Plane Wreckage; Seljalandsfoss Waterfall; Reynisfjara Black Beach, Vik; Hallgrimskirkja Church in Reykjavik; Snowmobiling on Langjökull Glacier.
We visited Iceland in March and rather than doing the full Ring Road, as we had originally planned, we decided to restrict our road trip to just the Golden Circle and South Coast regions. This is the most popular tourist area because there are so many things to see on this route. But, in the end, we decided that rather than trying to cover too much in 7 (short) days, we decided to stick to the South Coast and see as much as with could around this area.
However, we do have plans to return to Iceland in the summer, when the days are longer, and complete the full Ring Road plus West Fjords region. We can’t wait to tick off the rest of the things in our Iceland Bucket List that we didn’t get to visit the first time around!
After spending hours researching, below is my complete Iceland Bucket List – the top 50 things to do and places to see! I decided to share it here with you, to save you the hours of research it took me to come up with this list.
Psst – if you read on, there’s also a little bonus at the bottom of this post. Remember how I mentioned that I pinned all these places to a Google Map? Well, I’m also sharing that map with you to speed up your trip planning process even more!
Feeling Inspired? Here are 20 amazing photos of Iceland that will make you want to book a trip ASAP!
Iceland Bucket List: 50 Things to do in Iceland
- Road trip around the Golden Circle
- Stand underneath Skogafoss Waterfall
- Marvel at the beautiful Harpa Concert Hall, Reykjavik
- See the views of Reykjavik city from the top of Hallgrimskirkja Church
- Explore Snæfellsnes Peninsula
- Have a meal at Perlan Restaurant
- See the Sun Voyager sculpture, Reykjavik
- Go hunting for Northern Lights
- Have lunch in a hot house at Friðheimar Tomato Farm
- See the spectacular Geysir water spout
- Marvel at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- Stand on top of Kerið Crater
- Stay at the Silica Hotel at the Blue Lagoon
- Admire the ferocity of Gullfoss Waterfall
- Go Snowmobiling on Langjökull Glacier
- Swim in the Seljavallalaug Hot Springs
- Admire the cascades and towing mountain over Kirkjufellsfoss
- Hike to the Solheimasandur Plane Wreckage
- Climb the basalt columns on Reynisfjara Black Beach
- Check out the view from Dyrhólaey Lighthouse
- Visit the cute township of Húsavík
- Photograph the picturesque Skálholt Cathedral
- Stand above the powerful Dettifoss Waterfall
- Bath in the Mývatn Nature Baths
- Go whale watching in Akureyri
- Go glacier hiking in Skaftafell National Park
- See the Whales of Iceland exhibit
- Descend into Ásbyrgi Canyon
- Hike along Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon
- Admire the views of Hornstrandir Nature Reserve
- See the cute Icelandic horses
- Take a dip in the Sundlaugin á hofsósi Pool and admire the views
- Stay at the Ion Adventure Hotel
- Hike to the top of Svartifoss Waterfall
- Watch icebergs floating on Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- Walk amongst the giant ice chunks on Diamond Beach
- Descend into Grjótagjá Cave
- Go snorkelling between tectonic plates in Silfra Fissure
- Watch Puffins nesting
- Visit the Hekla Center
- Admire the dramatic landscapes of Stokksnes Peninsula
- Visit Garður Old Lighthouse
- Go ice caving in Vatnajökull Glacier
- Explore Iceland’s West Fjords
- Go hiking around Dynjandi Waterfall
- Swim in the Secret Lagoon Hot Spring
- Descend into a Lava Cave
- See Askja Volcano Crater
- Admire the spectacular Goðafoss Waterfall
Visiting Iceland in winter? Here are the best winter activities to check out.
Get our Iceland Trip Planning Bundle:
Are you planning a trip to Iceland soon? Enter your email below to subscribe to our newsletter and download our free Iceland planning bundle which includes a printable Iceland Bucket List plus, itinerary, Google Map (featuring all these places + more), and our Iceland packing list. You’ll also get access to tons of other free travel resources!
SHOP Iceland WINTER TRAVEL ESSENTIALS:
Feeling Inspired? Here are 10 Bucket List Places to Visit when the world opens for travel again!
Read More About Iceland:
- 7 Day Iceland Itinerary: Golden Circle and South Coast Road Trip
- Ultimate Iceland Bucket List: Top 50 Things to Do
- The Coolest Things to Do in Iceland in March
- What to Wear in Iceland in Winter + Packing List
- 10 Things You Need to Know Before Your First Trip to Iceland
- 25 of the Best Luxury Boutique Hotels in Iceland
- 20 Photos to Inspire You to Book a Trip to Iceland
- Video: Staying at the Silica Hotel in Iceland
- The Ultimate Travel Bucket List
Did You Know? When you click through and make a purchase or book your stay from one of our blog posts, we are rewarded with a small commission (at no extra cost to you) that helps to keep our blog running. Thank you for supporting us! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more details.
Planning a trip soon? Here is a list of the websites and resources we use for booking everything from flights, to accommodation, tours, and more:
- Skyscanner for booking the best flight deals
- Booking.com | Agoda | Hotels.com for the best rates on hotels
- Airbnb | HomeAway to find the best apartment and home rentals
- Rentalcars.com for quick and easy car rentals
- Luxury Escapes for luxury package holiday deals and tours
- Get Your Guide for a great range of day tours
- Tourradar | Intrepid for multi-day experiential and adventure tours
- Priority Pass for airport lounge access in hundreds of locations around the world
- Skyroam to stay connected to WiFi everywhere I go
- iVisa to apply for entry visas for most countries in the world
- World Nomads for the most comprehensive worldwide travel insurance
About the Author:
Amanda Twine is the founder and creator of Fly Stay Luxe – a luxury travel blog sharing informative travel guides, food guides, hotel reviews, itineraries and tips about how to make luxury travel more affordable.