Undoubtedly one of the top things to do on any visit to the Whitsundays is seeing the Great Barrier Reef from the air! Why? This is a totally once in a lifetime, bucket list experience for anyone.
There are many reasons why you should consider investing in taking a helicopter flight over the reef. While it’s much cheaper to take a boat ride there, you don’t get to truly experience the grandeur of the Great Barrier Reef until you see it from above.
If you’re not convinced, then check out these photos we took of the Great Barrier Reef from the Air on our recent trip.
How Do You Get to the Whitsundays?
Hamilton Island Airport is right near the Great Barrier Reef. We flew to Hamilton Island and stayed overnight during our recent visit to the Whitsundays. This was a great place to base ourselves for a visit to the Great Barrier Reef.
Scenic Helicopter Tour with Hamilton Island Air
Seeing the Great Barrier Reef from the air was the number one thing we wanted to do on our Whistunday itinerary. We booked our helicopter sightseeing flight with Hamilton Island Air, who were very professional and made our helicopter flight a really enjoyable experience. The pilot was very knowledgeable about all the reef formations and strategically positioned us in the air, so we could get amazing photos of the Great Barrier Reef.
Visiting Whitehaven Beach
You know that beautiful white sand island that you see in all the Tourism Australia advertisements. That’s Whitehaven Beach on Whitsunday Island. It’s actually not possible to stay on Whitsunday Island, unless you stay on a yacht or camp there. There are no hotels. But we reckon that nearby Hamilton Island is the best place to stay in the Whitsundays.
We chose the Heart Reef & Whitehaven Stopover tour, which meant we got to spend an hour frolicking on the whitest sand beach you’ve ever seen!
Best Time to Visit
We visited the Great Barrier Reef in March and were blessed with incredible weather. However, March is right at the end of the wet season and tropical storms are common. Most people recommend September (Spring) as the best time of year to visit the Whitsundays.
Have you got any additional tips for seeing the Great Barrier Reef from the air, or from the sea? Let our readers know about them in the comments below.
Read More About Australia:
- 10 Amazing Stops Along The Great Ocean Road
- Where to Find the Best Laneways in Melbourne
- A Guide to Visiting Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays
- 20 Photos to Inspire You to Visit the Great Barrier Reef
- The Ultimate Guide to Port Douglas, Australia
- How to See Tangalooma Wrecks on Moreton Island, Australia
- Tasmania Itinerary: 6 Day Winter Road Trip
- The Ultimate Travel Bucket List
Did You Know? When you click through and make a purchase or book your stay from one of our blog posts, we are rewarded with a small commission (at no extra cost to you) that helps to keep our blog running. Thank you for supporting us! Please see our Disclosure Policy for more details.
Planning a trip soon? Here is a list of the websites and resources we use for booking everything from flights, to accommodation, tours, and more:
- Skyscanner for booking the best flight deals
- Booking.com | Agoda | Hotels.com for booking the best hotel deals
- Airbnb | Stayz | HomeAway | VRBO for home rentals
- Rentalcars.com for quick and easy car rentals
- Luxury Escapes for luxury package holiday deals and tours
- Get Your Guide for a great range of day tours
- Tourradar | Intrepid for multi-day experiential and adventure tours
- Priority Pass for airport lounge access in hundreds of locations around the world
- Skyroam to stay connected to WiFi everywhere I go
- iVisa for processing entry visas for many countries around the world
- World Nomads or Covermore for the best worldwide travel insurance coverage (Covermore is only available to Australians & New Zealanders)
About the Author:
Amanda Twine is the founder and creator of Fly Stay Luxe – a luxury travel blog sharing informative travel guides, food guides, hotel reviews, itineraries and tips about how to make luxury travel more affordable.